Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Festa Dei Sette Pesci"

The Feast of the Seven Fishes
Christmas Eve Dinner 2009


What is the Feast of the Seven Fishes?
The Feast of the Seven Fishes or "Festa Dei Setta Pesci", is an Italian Christmas Eve dinner meal that consists of seven different types of fish. Since my Dad's family is Italian, every Christmas my Grandmother, my Mom and us girls help prepare this scrumptious meal. My favorite part of the cooking is stuffing the artichokes. This has become a family tradition between my Grandmother and us girls. 
Today the Feast of the Seven Fishes is a feast that typically consists of seven different seafood dishes. However, some Italian-American families celebrate with nine, eleven or thirteen different seafood dishes. This celebration commemorates the wait, the "Vigilia Di Natale", for the midnight birth of the baby Jesus. (The awaited Messiah, Emmanuel)


Fish*
Baccalá- Salted Cod
Calamari- Fried Squid
Fried Smelts
Shrimp
Clam and Anchovies Sauce (Over spaghetti)
Crab Legs
Fish Sticks

*We have replaced some fish like Eel with more"edible" fish like crab legs and fish sticks for some of our family's sanity. :) 
Helping G-ma Bake Artichokes

Sides
Cauliflower- Breaded and Fried
Artichokes- Stuffed and Baked
Spaghetti & Zucchini Aioli 
Spaghetti & Clam and Anchovies Sauce

Stuffed Artichoke...."Prelibato!"
(Tasty!)
Artichokes
  • Pull off discolored leaves
  • Cut off stems 
  • Clip tops of leaves
  • Soak in cold water for ten minutes
  • Drain and dry
  • Hit top side of artichoke to separate leaves (in order to stuff them)
  • Stuff with Italian bread crumbs (Make the stuffing according to the directions on the bag and add some garlic) 
  • Boil in water, olive oil and lemon for at least 1 hour. 

Desserts
Pizzells
Biscotti




Homemade Biscotti

Homemade Pizzells
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your family's Christmas traditions? I would love to hear of them and possibly put them in my next blog post! You can email your story to me @: proclaiminggrace14@gmail.com 

P.S. I would love to see some pictures too! 
Love,
Evangela Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment





Please remember not to use any offensive language or rude comments.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14


Thank you.