Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Joy of Names

Grace be unto you! A couple days ago I was in our upstairs homeschool room reading a book on baby names. (I was supposed to be helping my sister sew pincushions but when you are trying to work in a room full of books it is nearly impossible to finish a job without stopping to read a book or two.) Anyway, every once in a while I find myself reading our baby name book but the part I really enjoy is not only seeing the different kinds of names but mostly the meanings. For example, my name, Evangela, means "Proclaimer of the good news". I especially love this name, mainly because if Yahweh God is willing, I want to become a missionary when I grow up. I do not know where I want to go to "proclaim the good news" but I trust that God will tell me when the time comes. I also love hearing different peoples middle names. Mine is "Grace". Just recently I looked up my Nannies middle name which is "Ann" which means "Grace". My mothers middle name is also "Ann" which makes me the third generation of "Grace". Another neat twist to naming children is using another language to describe the meaning of the child's name. For example: I have a sister named "Verity" which is Latin for "Truth". Also, my little sister Liberty's middle name is "Charis" which is Greek for "Grace" or "Joy". (Our family must love the name "Grace"!) So as I was sitting in front of the computer trying to think of a name for my blog, and also trying to combine mine and my sisters names into the blog when my Mom said, "how about "proclaiming grace"? So there you have it. Now for your homework: go find a baby name book and look up the meanings of your name. :) 

Love,
Evangela and Liberty


No comments:

Post a Comment





Please remember not to use any offensive language or rude comments.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14


Thank you.